I support new writers by delivering virtual and in-person workshops to adults, teens and children. I am also pleased to tailor these workshops or teach as part of a writing camp.
Previous topics include
- Polishing that first page
- Creating characters for young and very young readers
- Cultivating story ideas
- Details, pacing and exploding the moment
- How to write a series
- Understanding types of conflict
- Engaging reluctant readers and writers
- What to do with abandoned first drafts
- Writing habits, time management and you
- Creating your literary archive
Client list (Canada and the United States)
- Association of Teachers of English of Nova Scotia Conference
- Canadian Society of Authors, Illustrators and Performers Annual Conference
- Frye Festival, New Brunswick
- Grande Prairie Children’s Literature Roundtable
- Hackmatack Literary Festival
- International Reading Association Annual Conference
- Lethbridge Children’s Literature Roundtable
- MASC Young Authors and Illustrators Conference
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- Nocturne: Art at Night, Halifax
- Nova Scotia College of Art and Design
- Regina Public Library
- Word on the Street, Halifax
- Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia
Please contact me to discuss my fee structure.
Travel subsidies can be made available by submitting an application to the Canada Council.
I am a member of the Writers’ Union of Canada, the Canadian Children’s Book Centre; CANSCAIP, the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia, the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, and am an alumnus of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design.